CBT@Home webinar series
Professor Peter Norton, Cairnmillar Institute
This workshop outlines the evidence-base underlying transdiagnostic cognitive behavioural group therapy for emotional disorders, and provides an introduction and explanation of the principal conceptual differences from traditional CBT for each of the anxiety and depressive disorder diagnoses.
The “transdiagnostic” approach is gaining widespread acceptance because it enables therapists to treat a variety of emotional disorders, including anxiety, OCD, PTSD, and depressive disorders, using a single treatment approach that targets the common processes underlying and maintaining the disorders. Transdiagnostic CBT has also shown to be particularly effective in treating complex comorbid presentations.
Professor Norton is an international leading expert in anxiety disorders and most specifically renowned for his research on transdiagnostic cognitive-behavioural approaches to treating anxiety disorders. He has over 160 Journal articles and chapters, and 4 published books He serves on the Editorial Board of Cognitive Therapy and Research and Journal of Anxiety Disorders.
Peter’s contributions have led to his election to Fellow Status in the Society of Clinical Psychology (APA) in 2018, receiving the Australian Psychological Society (APS) Outstanding Academic Mentor Award in 2019, and receiving the Distinguished Career Award by the Australian Association for Cognitive and Behaviour Therapies (AACBT) in 2020.
Key Learning Objectives:
- Understanding the evidence based surrounding transdiagnostic cognitive behavioural group therapy for emotional disorders
- Knowledge of transdiagnostic case formulation as it applies to implementing transdiagnostic CBT
- Norton, P. J. & Roberge, P. (2017). Transdiagnostic therapy. Psychiatric Clinics of North America, 40, 675-687.
- Norton, P. J. (2012). Group cognitive-behavioral therapy of anxiety: A transdiagnostic treatment manual. New York: Guilford.
- Roberge, P., Provencher, M. D., Gaboury, I., Gosselin, P., Vasiliadis, H-M., Benoît, A., Carrier, N., Antony, M. M., Chaillet, N., Houle, J., Hudon, C., & Norton, P. J. (2020). Group transdiagnostic cognitive-behaviour therapy for anxiety disorders: A pragmatic randomized clinical trial. Psychological Medicine.