AACBT NSW Pub Discussion: Phipps – Schema therapy
- Andrew Phipps
Please contact us to be added to the wait list.
Schema therapy for the cognitive-behavioural therapist: integrating experiential techniques to augment cognitive-behavioural interventions
Presenter: Andrew Phipps
ISST Certified Advanced Schema Therapist and Trainer/Supervisor
Do you want to learn the schema model and how to integrate experiential techniques to augment cognitive behavioural practice?
While originating from the Cognitive-Behavioural tradition, Schema Therapy has grown into its own unique form of psychotherapy. The model, which integrates cognitive-behavioural, gestalt, and psychoanalytic schools, is fast becoming a ‘go-to’ treatment for personality disorders and other chronic mental health complaints.
Despite the model’s focus on longer term ‘characterological’ problems, many of the concepts and techniques can be very useful and powerful when applied to clients presenting with less chronic and complex difficulties.
This 1-hour seminar will provide a brief overview of the model, outline its most salient treatment strategies, and discuss how schema therapy techniques can be integrated into cognitive-behavioural treatments.
Participants will see practical demonstrations of some core therapeutic components; ‘experiential techniques’, and ‘limited re-parenting’. These components are believed to be the cornerstone of the model’s effectiveness.
About this event:
The format will be informal, with didactic content, including video demonstration and experiential exercises.
Key Learning Objectives
- Participants will gain an understanding of the most salient treatment strategies used in schema therapy
- Participants will gain an understanding of how the core schema components of ‘experiential techniques ‘and ‘limited re-parenting can be used in clinical practice
This session is designed for those with a casual familiarity – attendees may have treated one case using schema therapy.
Duration & Format / Training Modalities
This session has approx. 60 minutes CPD, and does not include any catering in the ticket price.
Door opens at 6:30pm for a 7pm start.
Please note that you can ask our local volunteers for the inside news about #AACBT23 (our 43rd national conference) in Sydney this October!
References – readings
- Arntz, A., & Jacob, G., (2013). Schema Therapy in Practice: An Introductory Guide to the Schema Mode Approach. West Sussed, UK. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Farrell, J. M., & Shaw, I. A., (2018). Experiencing Schema Therapy from the Inside Out: A Self-Practice/Self-Reflection Workbook for Therapists. New York, NY. The Guilford Press.
- Young, J. E., Klosko, J. S., & Weishaar, M. E. (2003). Schema therapy: A practitioner’s guide. New York: Guilford Press.
AACBT members have free tickets, but MUST book to reserve their place.
Non-members can join now and gain all of the other advantages of AACBT Membership!
There are no early bird rates for this event and please note that there are no door sales possible.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Please note, the venue will be following all relevant Public Health Orders and checking delegates as per their obligations. Density, and mask requirements will be in line with relevant government guidelines. As per all events, please do not attend if you are unwell.
If you are required to cancel your attendance owing to a COVID isolation, please contact us for a full refund or ticket transfer.