AACBT Qld Pub Discussion: Briffa DBT (Zoom)
- Natasha Briffa
***This is a live presentation via Zoom***
From little things big things grow – supporting DBT sustainability service and sector wide
Presenter: Natasha Briffa
Life Worth Living Psychology
This will be a practical presentation on a combination of (a) sustaining DBT groups in practice from experiences of working in the public sector on a DBT specific project, and (b) DBT treatment for BPD.
Natasha will provide a brief overview of her previous experience being involved in the implementation of DBT programs within the public mental health and NGO sectors and will talk to factors which are pertinent to increasing accessibility and sustainability of DBT services. Natasha will also provide an overview of the DBT treatment approach and will overview the core skills for working well with Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD).
About this event:
The format will include a live presentation in an informal setting, followed by approx. 30 min of open Q&A – bring your questions!
Key Learning Objectives
- General DBT information – structure of a DBT program and core modules
- Practical application when implementing DBT across the sector
- Pitfalls and practical handy hints
This session is designed for those with advanced knowledge of DBT – attendees will be assumed to have considerable experience of prior work in this area.
Implications / Applications of Learning for Clinical Practice
Information will be provided to support attendees to further their skills, knowledge, and practice of DBT skills and resources.
Duration & Format / Training Modalities
This event will be approx. 60 minutes for CPD plus approx. 30 min open Q&A. As it is a virtual event, it does not include any catering in the ticket price.
Zoom waiting room will be open ready for the 7pm start – the Zoom link will be emailed to all confirmed delegates in the days prior to the event. Please do not share the Zoom link as the room has a maximum capacity.
References – readings
- Two-year randomized controlled trial and follow-up of dialectical behavior therapy vs therapy by experts for suicidal behaviors and borderline personality disorder; MM Linehan, KA Comtois, AM Murray, MZ Brown, RJ Gallop, HL Heard,…; Archives of general psychiatry 63 (7), 757-766
- A biosocial developmental model of borderline personality: Elaborating and extending linehan’s theory.; SE Crowell, TP Beauchaine, MM Linehan; Psychological bulletin 135 (3), 495
- Dialectical behavior therapy with suicidal adolescents; AL Miller, JH Rathus, MM Linehan; Guilford Press
- Cognitive-behavioral treatment of borderline personality disorder; MM Linehan; Guilford Publications
- DBT Skills Training Manual, Second Edition; MM Linehan; Guilford Press
- Stoffers-Winterling, J., Storebø, O., Kongerslev, M., Faltinsen, E., Todorovac, A., Sedoc Jørgensen, M., . . . Simonsen, E. (2022). Psychotherapies for borderline personality disorder: A focused systematic review and meta-analysis. The British Journal of Psychiatry, 1-15. doi:10.1192/bjp.2021.204
- Toms, G., Williams, L., Rycroft-Malone, J., Swales, M., & Feigenbaum, J. (2019). The development and theoretical application of an implementation framework for dialectical behaviour therapy: a critical literature review. Borderline personality disorder and emotion dysregulation, 6, 2.
- Pasieczny, N., & Connor, J. (2011). The effectiveness of dialectical behaviour therapy in routine public mental health settings: An Australian controlled trial. Behaviour research and therapy, 49(1), 4-10.
- Swales, M. A., Taylor, B., & Hibbs, R. A. (2012). Implementing dialectical behaviour therapy: Programme survival in routine healthcare settings. Journal of Mental Health, 21(6), 548-555.
- King, J. C., Hibbs, R., Saville, C. W., & Swales, M. A. (2018). The survivability of dialectical behaviour therapy programmes: a mixed methods analysis of barriers and facilitators to implementation within UK healthcare settings. BMC psychiatry, 18(1), 1-11.
- Quetsch, L. B., Herschell, A. D., Kogan, J. N., Gavin, J. G., Hale, G., & Stein, B. D. (2020). Community-based behavioral health administrator perspectives on sustainability of Dialectical Behavior Therapy: a qualitative evaluation. Borderline personality disorder and emotion dysregulation, 7(1), 1-11.
- Popowich, A. D., Mushquash, A. R., Pearson, E., Schmidt, F., & Mushquash, C. J. (2020). Barriers and facilitators affecting the sustainability of dialectical behaviour therapy programmes: A qualitative study of clinician perspectives. Counselling and Psychotherapy Research, 20(1), 68-80.
- Bloom, J. M., Woodward, E. N., Susmaras, T., & Pantalone, D. W. (2012). Use of dialectical behavior therapy in inpatient treatment of borderline personality disorder: a systematic review. Psychiatric Services, 63(9), 881-888.
- Harvey, L. J., Hunt, C., & White, F. A. (2019). Dialectical behaviour therapy for emotion regulation difficulties: A systematic review. Behaviour Change, 36(3), 143-164.
AACBT members have free tickets, but MUST book to reserve their place.
Non-members can join now and gain all of the other advantages of AACBT Membership!
There are no early bird rates for this event and please note that there are no door sales possible.
Please contact email@example.com for more information.
Please note, the main presentation will be recorded for future distribution in the CBT@Home series – it is not intended to include the Q&A session at the end in the recording.