Sydney Pub Discussion: Suicide prevention in clinical practice
- Fiona Shand
Working with clients’ suicidality in clinical practice
Presenter: Dr Fiona Shand
“Suicide prevention using CBT and ACT approaches”
Suicidality is a common presentation across a range of health settings, and in particular during the assessment and treatment of mental illnesses. This session aims to present what is known about suicide prevention in clinical practice.
Topics covered will include:
- the dynamic nature of suicide risk and alternatives to risk assessment
- risk factors vs warning signs
- CBT for suicide prevention
- the utility of other therapeutic frameworks for suicide prevention (e.g. ACT, DBT)
- working with ambivalence and hope
- evidence-based models that inform cognitive targets for modification
- assembling a support team
- clinician anxiety and self-care
A pub discussion is a relaxed opportunity to observe a presentation on an interesting topic related to cognitive behavioural therapy. There are opportunities for the willing to engage in a discussion relating to the topic towards the end of the presentation.
Registration 6:30pm for a 7:00pm start.
Non-members can join now and have free entry, plus all the other advantages of AACBT Membership!