World CBT – Sanders: The power of parenting
- Matt Sanders
The power of parenting in transforming the mental health and wellbeing of children and parents, through a population-based system of evidence-based parenting support
Professor Matthew (‘Matt’) Sanders
University of Queensland
Learn the latest in parenting interventions from an Australian world expert and how to best target child social, behavioural, and emotional problems!
AACBT, in conjunction with the World Confederation of Cognitive and Behavioural Therapies, is proud to host Professor Matt Sanders in this exciting full-day workshop as a WCCBT World Ambassador for CBT.
Learn the latest in behaviour management from an Australian world-expert!
About this workshop
This one-day workshop provides an overview of the latest developments in the Triple P multilevel system of parenting interventions and their application to a broad range of child social, emotional, and behavioural problems. A self-regulation framework in actively teaching parenting skills is discussed and demonstrated. A population-based model of evidence base parenting support is described with specific case exemplars to highlight how parenting interventions can achieve population level change, benefiting children, parents, and communities.
Strategies for dealing with vulnerable and high-risk parents are discussed including parents with mental health problems, relationship problems, and parents affected by substance abuse and trauma. A series of case scenarios will be used to develop participant clinical problem solving and formulation skills.
The workshop will cover the full spectrum of evidence-based parenting interventions from media and communication strategies, seminars, discussion groups, intensive group and online programs and enhanced individual programs for complex cases. Organisational and implementation factors related to sustainability and fidelity will be highlighted.
Key Learning Objectives
- Participants will become familiar with the theoretical and empirical basis Triple P multiple level system of intervention as an intervention to reduce child maltreatment and social, emotional and behavioural problems in children.
- Participants will be familiar with specific strategies and procedures that enhance parental self-regulation and parenting capacity.
- Participant will be familiar with new innovations that improve engagement and treatment outcomes with vulnerable and socially disadvantaged families with multiple sources of adversity in their lives, children who are peer victimised and children who are anxious.
- Participants will be familiar with strategies to prevent and manage resistance within consultation sessions.
- Participants will see demonstrations of adaptions and innovations developed in party as a response to COVID 19 including flexible delivery modalities and four new Triple P online interactive programs.
This session will suit the skill levels of all attendees, from the basic to the advanced.
Duration & Format / Training Modalities
This workshop has 7 hours CPD, and includes morning tea. Lunch is self-catered on-site – feel free to mingle with your fellow attendees in a relaxed setting.
Registration at 8:30am for a 9:00am start. The session is scheduled to conclude at 4pm.
References – readings
Sanders, M. R., & Mazzucchelli, T. G. (Eds.). (2018). The Power of Positive Parenting: Transforming the Lives of Children, Parents, and Communities Using the Triple P System. Oxford University Press.
Sanders, M.R., Turner, K.M.T. & Metzler, C.W. Applying Self-Regulation Principles in the Delivery of Parenting Interventions. Clinical Child & Family Psychology Review 22, 24–42 (2019).
Sanders, M. R. (2020). Developing the Triple P System as a Population Approach to Parenting Support. In Designing Evidence-Based Public Health and Prevention Programs (pp. 92-112). Routledge
Non-members can join now and gain all of the other advantages of AACBT Membership!
There is an early bird rate for full members for this event, and there are group discounts are available for non-members. Early-bird rates expire on 27 May 2023.
Please contact email@example.com for more information.
Please note, the venue will be following all relevant Public Health Orders and checking delegates as per their obligations. Density, and mask requirements will be in line with relevant government guidelines. As per all events, please do not attend if you are unwell.
If you are required to cancel your attendance owing to a COVID isolation, please contact us for a full refund or ticket transfer.